Roads stayed clear of ice this morning, but the Shoals remains under a winter weather advisory until 6 a.m. Wednesday.
Meanwhile, a flood warning continues for the Tennessee River at the Shoals, as the river could reach flood stage by Wednesday afternoon in an already saturated community.
In addition, the National Weather Service office in Huntsville is calling for a 40 percent chance of rain and snow for Thursday morning.
“It’s just that time of year,” said George Grabryan, director of the Lauderdale County Emergency Management Agency.
Grabryan said bridge decks in the county were wet but not slick this morning, and many roads had been dried by winds.
“We’ll pick up more precipitation today,” he said. “It’s just a question of whether that temperature stays up.”
Temperatures mainly stayed in the mid-30s overnight, so any dips below freezing did not last long enough to affect roads.
The temperatures will remain steady today, with a high of 35, according to the weather service. The chance of precipitation is 100 percent and total daytime accumulation of ice could be one-tenth to three-tenths of an inch. Trees, power lines and elevated road surfaces could be effected.
Rain or freezing rain is forecast tonight, with a low around 32 and an 80 percent chance of precipitation. New ice accumulation of one-tenth to one-fifth of an inch is possible. Conditions should improve Wednesday, with a high near 46 and 20 percent chance of rain.
Colbert EMA Director Mike Melton said ice was accumulating this morning on trees in the Crooked Oak community but no roads were blocked.
“We’ve been on the edge for almost the last 24 hours, and it looks like we’re going to be on edge for another 24 hours,” Melton said.
He said there are no flooding reports, but a section of East Sixth Street remains closed due to slow draining.
Franklin EMA Director Roy Gober said his agency received reports of about 20 downed trees and 15 power outages overnight, but all power has been restored.
Gober said all county roads are open and passable.
“We were just within about 1 degree of having big-time problems, but it stayed up there just warm enough,” he said.
Grabryan’s office has alerted the Florence Parks and Recreation Department about flooding possibilities at McFarland Park.
“The rest of the week everyone really needs to be careful of water on roads and be careful near creeks,” he said. “There’s a lot of water standing in this county. We’re very saturated right now.”
The river is expected to reach the 18-foot flood stage in Florence early Wednesday afternoon and continue to rise to near 18.7 feet by Friday morning, weather service officials said.
As for the snow threat, a system will begin effecting the area by Wednesday night and Thursday with a 40 percent chance of rain and snow Thursday morning. Weather service officials said it’s too early to predict whether there will be accumulations, although Thursday’s high will warm to about 40 degrees.